Want to Preserve and Restore Film and Other Moving Images?

The Amsterdam Film Museum
Ever wanted to restore, preserve, or archive film and television programs, or work in some other area of preserving and restoring artifacts in all the moving-image categories including some that are being created right now?

The United States has three master’s level programs in moving image archiving, while one other is at the University of Amsterdam, in the Netherlands.

The American programs are at UCLA, New York University, and the George Eastman House at the University of Rochester. Courses, rather than full degrees, are available at some other institutions, too.

You can get a sense of what they offer from their websites, but also from blogs maintained by their students. The UCLA program has a student chapter of the U.S.-based but international organization of moving-image practice and theory, the Association of Moving Image Archivists, and the chapter maintains a blog. So does the NYU student chapter. The University of Amsterdam Graduate School of Humanities has a Facebook page with constant updates – such as the one that says now is the time to apply – and the Rochester program does, too.




Categories: FeaturesNewsOf Special Interest

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Moving Image Archive News